What is an SSL Certificate?
SSL certificates are small data files that bind a cryptographic key to an organization’s details. Websites with a https protocol mean that they have the SSL padlock installed on the web server, allowing secure connections from the web server to the browser. This allows for secure credit card transactions, logins, data transfers, and secure browsing of social media sites.
That means that any website with “https://” in the browser is secure supports a secure connection.
Finally, SSL certificates bind together a domain name, server name, or host name.
SSL for my WebDirect website
From July 2018 onwards, any Google Chrome browser will mark a website without the SSL Certificate (beginning in https://) as “not secure”.
Therefore, we at BookingSuite are going to make your website SSL Certified by July 2018.
What are the main advantages of having an SSL certificate?
- Ranking boost: Google’s latest algorithm update will consider HTTPS as a ranking signal, meaning that websites with an SSL certificate will benefit from an organic search engine ranking results advantage.
- Brand value: SSL certified websites provide a sense of security and trust amongst visitors. Having an SSL certificate on your WebDirect website will therefore have a positive influence on your property’s brand and strengthen your position amongst potential guests.
- Secure payments and info: One of the requirements for any website that uses credit card transactions is being SSL certified, in compliance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards. Additionally, with an SSL certificate, all information transferred is encrypted so that no third parties can intercept or read it.
- Authentication: In general, all that want to obtain an SSL certificate must undergo a thorough process of verification and authentication. Therefore, it’s now easier to identify malicious websites by their lack of an HTTPS connection making online phishing more difficult.
Do I need to take any actions myself?
Now that your WebDirect has been SSL certified, please follow these steps to ensure the correct identification of your secure website status:
1. Check for unsafe scripts
Check if your embeded codes or widgets are still visible on your website. If the content from this third-party code or widget is not SSL certified by its provider it will not be visible on WebDirect.
Moreover, the presence of non-certified widgets implies that the website will be flagged as not fully secure in users’ browsers (.i.e. in Google Chrome it will be displayed ‘Your connection to this site is not fully secure’).
2. Review your Google Search Console
If you are using Google Search Console you should add the https version of your website to your Google Search Console account. Find more information in this article.
3. Update your Google ads
Since the passage from HTTP to HTTPS is automatically done by BookingSuite everything should work without any problem. However, to improve page load performance we recommend you to update all of your links from HTTP to HTTPS for all your online ads. For further details please review your ads provider guidelines.
Any other questions related to the topic?
Find out more on this article.