What is Google site verification?
Site verification is the process of proving that you own the site or app that you claim to own. Google needs to confirm this ownership because, once verified, the owner will gain access to the site’s private Google Search data. In addition, the owner will also be able to affect how Google Search crawls the site.
Site verification is one of the steps to take when using Google Search Console, a free service offered by Google that helps users monitor and maintain their site's presence in Google Search results.
It’s not required to sign up for Search Console for a site to be included in Google's search results. However, doing so can help the site’s owner understand how Google views the site and optimize its performance in search results.
How can I retrieve my Google Verification ID?
- Go to Google Search Console https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home and insert your www domain.
- Click on the red “Add a property” button.
- Make sure to have "HTML tag” as your verification method by going to the “Alternative methods” tab.
- Copy the part of the meta tag code that starts after content=; so everything between the quotation marks ” ”. Insert this code in your WebDirect BackOffice (following the instructions at the end of this article).
- Click save, and publish.
- Finally, click on the red “verify” button under your Google Search Console page.
How can I insert my Google Verification ID in BackOffice?
In order to verify your WebDirect website with Google Search Console please follow these steps:
- Send a message through the Help section of your BackOffice or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you wish to use Google site verification for your WebDirect.
- One of our agents will enable this functionality and send you a confirmation.
- Once enabled, please log into your BackOffice and go to Settings > Tag Manager
- Click on the yellow “New Tag” button and select Google Site Verification.
- Proceed to insert your Google Site Verification ID.
- Please remember to click on Save and Publish.
- Finally, go to your Google Search Console page and click on the “Verify” red button