What is Google site verification?
Site verification is the process of proving that you own the site or app that you claim to own. Google needs to confirm this ownership because once verified, the owner will gain access to the site’s private Google Search data. In addition, the site's owner will also be able to affect how Google Search crawls the website.
Site verification is one of the steps to take when using Google Search Console, a free service offered by Google that helps users monitor and maintain their site's presence in Google Search results.
It’s not required to sign up for Search Console for a site to be included in Google's search results. However, doing so can help the site’s owner understand how Google views the site and optimize its performance in search results.
How can I retrieve my Google Verification ID?
- Go to Google Search Console https://search.google.com/search-console/welcome and insert the HTTPS version of your www domain.
- Click on the gray “Add property” button.
- Click on "HTML tag” under “Other verification methods.”
- Now you will have access to your verification ID. Copy the part of the meta tag code right after 'content=' (everything between the quotation marks ” ”).
- Insert this code in your WebDirect BackOffice, following the instructions below.
How can I insert my Google Verification ID in BackOffice?
In order to verify your WebDirect website with Google Search Console please follow these steps:
- Log into your BackOffice and go to Settings > Tag Manager
- Click on the yellow “New Tag” button and select Google Site Verification.
- Proceed to insert your Google Site Verification ID.
- Please remember to click on Save and Publish.
- Finally, go to your Google Search Console page and click on the “Verify” gray button